January 22, 2023
Greetings, GMS Families -
Ohhh, look at those snow flakes....I am sure most kiddos are excited and even some adults. Me, well, ummmm, give me sunshine and heat every day! I am not trying to jinx the students who are doing a snow dance for tomorrow, but please listen for notifications/phone calls in case weather impacts school in anyway tomorrow morning.
Recent student Shout-Outs include: Nyah Painter, Kaylee Wenning, Mars Herreman, Emma Treece, Ella Dills, Dalayne Hart, Evan Seifert, Lewis Kieffer, Tatum Tackett, Cohen Fisher, Ben Cook, Nate Anderson, Emma Meier, Happy Rhoton, Addison McClelland, Andrew Busack, Abbie Graham, Levi Legg, Broc Terry, Carson Fox, Max Miller, Sophie Price, Lane Wymer, Jacob Calesaric, Michael Houston, Kaitlyn Coen, Jacob King, Finley Boone, Rylan Board, Chase Gossman, Callie Rogers, and Isa Laverty
Bi-weekly student shout-out raffle winners: Jacob Calesaric, Abbie Graham, Levi Legg, Addison McClleland, Emma Treece
As always, please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or positive thoughts to share.
Any 7th grade boy interested in playing golf this fall, please find a time to see or message Mr. Engler by January 27. Practices utilizing the simulator will begin soon.
From January 23rd-February10th, GMS will be participating in Coin Wars! Each 5th period class will be provided with a gallon jug to collect funds. Students can add points to their jugs with pennies and dollar bills or can subtract points from an opposing class by adding quarters, nickels, or dimes. At the end of the three weeks, the 5th period class with the most points will receive a free and extended lunch from DeFelice Brothers Pizza! All proceeds from this fundraiser will be donated to Camp Kesem at The Ohio State University. Kesem is a one week overnight camp for children impacted by a parent’s cancer that provides a support network and lasting friendships for all involved. It is entirely run and organized by volunteer college students and 100% free to all campers involved! We look forward to seeing your competitive sides come out to help this wonderful organization!
BRYN DU ART CLASSES
Use this link to check-out upcoming art classes at Bryn Du.
- GMS gifted students have the opportunity to attend the OWJL Camp this summer! Check out the link for more information.
- GMS girls have the opportunity to attend the Be Wise Camp STEM camp this summer! For more information see attachments.
- Check out these resources from On Our Sleeves about kids and social media.
- Social Media and Kids Mental Health - On Our Sleeves
- Social media has benefits and risks to children’s mental health. You can help children by starting conversations around social media, helping them navigate it and educating them on how to stay safe online with our resources.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.
SCHOOL SPORTS & CLUBS
7th gr boys beat Watkins 49-15
8th gr boys beat Watkins 34-29
7th gr girls beat Heights 34-6
8th gr girls beat Heights 40-28
7th gr boys lost 13-49 to Heights
8th gr boys lost to Heights 19-38
7th gr boys beat Northridge 45-19
7th gr girls beat Northridge 32-26
8th gr boys beat Northridge 43-25
8th gr girls beat Northridge 41-2
GMS earned 2nd place on Saturday (1/22). Giff Dunbar won most valuable player.
SCIENCE OLYMPIAD EARNS 1st PLACE
The Granville Middle School Science Olympiad team competed at the Northmont Invitational on Saturday and came away with the 1st place trophy! Winning top-3 medals were:
- Yingling Yang and Ethan Goodman-2nd in Anatomy
- Harrison McKinney and Elina Katz-1st in Bio Process Lab
- Olivia Katona, Kevin Gu, and Tim Johnson-3rd in Codebusters
- Harrison McKinney and Norah Mitton-Fry-2nd in Crave the Wave
- Jack Hann and Oliver Rodgers-3rd in Crave the Wave
- Yingling Yang and Ethan Goodman-3rd in Disease Detectives
- Norah Mitton-Fry and Harrison McKinney-3rd in Dynamic Planet
- Elina Katz and June Landry-2nd in Dynamic Planet
- Elina Katz, Norah Mitton-Fry, and Isaac Davis-2nd in Experimental Design
- Chyler Katona and Cole Reid-2nd in Fast Facts
- Yingling Yang and Olivia Katona-1st in Fast Facts
- Cole Reid and Alex Relange-3rd in Flight
- Chyler Katona and Dylan Predieri-2nd in Forestry
- Olivia Katona and June Landry-3rd in Forestry
- Chyler Katona and Ian Hageman-3rd in Green Generation
- Yingling Yang and June Landry-1st in Green Generation
- Norah Mitton-Fry and Chyler Katona-3rd in Meteorology
- Kevin Gu and Abbie Graham-2nd in Road Scholar
- Elina Katz and Sarah McAllister-3rd in Rocks and Minerals
- Alex Relange and Cole Reid-3rd in Roller Coaster
- Jack Hann and Elliot Katz-2nd in Roller Coaster
- Norah Mitton-Fry and Sarah McAllister-3rd in Solar System
- Dylan Predieri and Ian Hageman-1st in Wheeled Vehicle
- Jack Hann and Elliot Katz-2nd in Wheeled Vehicle
The team is next in action February 4th at the Solon Invitational.
UPDATE: GMS YEARBOOK 2023
CALLING ALL CANDIDS: Do you have school related pictures you would like to submit for consideration in the yearbook? We are in particular NEED of pictures for the following FALL activities: Soccer, Girls Field Hockey, and Boys and Girls Golf. You may forward images to [email protected] There is still time to order your copy of the 2023 GMS Yearbook. We will be finalizing our total production numbers by the end of January. The best way to assure you receive a yearbook in May is to preorder. Don’t delay! Purchases may be made at: GMS Yearbook on-line store Thank you to all the families who have already purchased a book. If you need to verify your purchase to avoid a duplicate order, please contact Michelle Bain at [email protected]
YOUTH BASKETBALL NIGHT on 1/25/23
Granville Varsity Girls Basketball is hosting its first ever Youth Night on Wednesday, January 25th from 6:00 - 8:30 pm in the high school gym. All Granville girls from grades K-8 will get in free to the game vs. Utica High School, and the coaching staff, players, and parents have been working hard to make this a fun night for girls of all ages. The event starts at 6:00pm, where girls can get a team photo autographed by the Varsity girls, and then it will continue until 8:30pm with the game, contests, raffles, prizes, and activities. The GHS Pep Band will also be in attendance to bring the energy. Please reach out to Coach Moore at [email protected] with any questions!
PLANNING AHEAD for STATE TESTING
For planning purposes (dr apts, etc.), here is the GMS state testing schedule:
March 28-29: ELA 7 and 8 state testing
April 18-19: Math 7, Math 8, Pre-Alg, Alg, and Geo state testing
April 25-26: Science 8 and Bio state testing
Testing takes place the first two hrs of school on each day listed above.
Calendar & Schedules
1/25 Late arrival