The Ohio Department of Health has established the following Immunization Summary for Child Care, Head Start, Pre-School and School Attendance. These immunizations are required for school attendance, Fall 2019.
Four (4) or more of DTaP or DT, or any combination. If all four doses were given before the 4th birthday, a fifth (5) dose is required. If the fourth dose was administered at least six months after the third dose, and on or after the 4th birthday, a fifth (5) dose is not required.*
Four (4) or more of DTaP or DT, or any combination. Three doses of Td or a combination of Td and Tdap is the minimum acceptable for children age seven (7) and up.
One (1) dose of Tdap vaccine must be administered prior to entry.**
Kindergarten- Grade 9
Three (3) or more doses of IPV. The FINAL dose must be administered on or after the 4th birthday regardless of the number of previous doses. If a combination of OPV and IPV was received, 4 doses of either vaccine are required.***
Three (3) or more doses of IPV or OPV. If the third dose of either series was received prior to the fourth birthday, a fourth dose is required; If a combination of OPV and IPV was received, four (4) doses of either vaccine are required.
Measles, Mumps, Rubella
Two (2) doses of MMR. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after dose 1.
Three (3) doses of Hepatitis B. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after the first dose. The third dose must be given at least 16 weeks after the first dose and at least 8 weeks after the second dose. The last does in the series (third or fourth dose), must not be administered before age 24 weeks.
Two (2) doses of varicella vaccine must be administered prior to entry. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose should be administered at least three (3) months after dose 1; however, if the second dose is administered at least 28 days after the first dose, it is considered valid.
One (1) dose of varicella vaccine must be administered on or after the first birthday.
One (1) dose of meningococcal (serogroup A, C, W & Y) vaccine must be administered prior to entry.
Two (2) doses of meningococcal (serogroup A, C, W & Y) vaccine must be administered prior to entry. ****
- Vaccine should be administered according to the most recent version of the Recommended Immunization Schedules for Children and Adolescents Aged 18 Years or Younger or the Catch-up Immunization Schedule for Persons Aged 4 Months Through 18 Years Who Start Late or Who Are More Than 1 Month Behind, as published by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Schedules are available for print or download hereVaccine doses administered 4 days before the minimum interval or age are valid (grace period). Doses administered 5 days earlier than the minimum interval or age are not valid doses and should be repeated as age-appropriate. If MMR and Varicella are not given on the same day, the doses must be separated by at least 28 days with no grace period. For additional information please refer to the Ohio Revised Code 3313.67 and 3313.671 for School Attendance and the ODH Director’s Journal Entry (available at the Ohio Department of Health website under Immunization: Required Vaccines for Childcare and School). These documents list required and recommended immunizations and indicate exemptions to immunizations. Please contact the Ohio Department of Health Immunization Program at (800) 282-0546 or (614) 466-4643 with questions or concerns.
- *Recommended DTaP or DT minimum intervals for Kindergarten students: four (4) weeks between doses 1-2 and 2-3; six (6) month minimum intervals between doses 3-4 and 4-5. If a fifth dose is administered prior to the 4th birthday. a sixth dose is recommended but not required.
- **Pupils who received one dose of Tdap as part of the initial series are not required to receive another dose. Tdap can be given regardless of interval since the last tetanus- or diphtheria-toxoid containing vaccine. DTaP given to patients age 7 or older can be counted as valid for the one-time Tdap dose.
- ***The final polio dose in the IPV series must be administered at age 4 or older with at least six months between the final and previous dose.
- ****Recommended MCV4 minimum interval of at least eight (8) weeks between dose one (1) and dose two (2). If the first (1st) dose of MCV4 was administered on or after the 16th birthday, a second (2nd) dose is not required. If a pupil is in 12th grade and is 15 years of age or younger, only 1 dose is required. Currently there are no school entry requirements for meningococcal B vaccine.