The Ohio Department of Health has established the following Immunization Summary for Child Care, Head Start, Pre-School and School Attendance. These immunizations are required for school attendance, Fall 2022.
Four (4) or more of DTaP or DT, or any combination. If all four doses were given before the 4th birthday, a fifth (5) dose is required. If the fourth dose was administered at least six months after the third dose, and on or after the 4th birthday, a fifth (5) dose is not required.*
Four (4) or more of DTaP or DT, or any combination. Three doses of Td or a combination of Td and Tdap is the minimum acceptable for children age seven (7) and up.
One (1) dose of Tdap vaccine must be administered prior to entry.**
All students in grades 8-12 must have one documented Tdap dose.
Kindergarten- Grade 12
Three (3) or more doses of IPV. The FINAL dose must be administered on or after the 4th birthday regardless of the number of previous doses and there must be six months spacing between doses 2 and 3. If a combination of OPV and IPV was received, 4 doses of either vaccine are required.***
Measles, Mumps, Rubella
Two (2) doses of MMR. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after dose 1.
Three (3) doses of Hepatitis B. The second dose must be administered at least 28 days after the first dose. The third dose must be given at least 16 weeks after the first dose and at least 8 weeks after the second dose. The last does in the series (third or fourth dose), must not be administered before age 24 weeks.
Two (2) doses of varicella vaccine must be administered prior to entry. Dose 1 must be administered on or after the first birthday. The second dose should be administered at least three (3) months after dose 1; however, if the second dose is administered at least 28 days after the first dose, it is considered valid.
One (1) dose of meningococcal (serogroup A, C, W & Y) vaccine must be administered prior to entry. All students in grades 8-12 must have one documented Tdap dose.
Two (2) doses of meningococcal (serogroup A, C, W & Y) vaccine by age 16 years, with a minumum interval of eight weeks between doses. If the first dose was given after the 16th birthday, only one dose is required. ****
- Vaccine should be administered according to the most recent version of the Recommended Immunization Schedules for Children and Adolescents Aged 18 Years or Younger or the Catch-up Immunization Schedule for Persons Aged 4 Months Through 18 Years Who Start Late or Who Are More Than 1 Month Behind, as published by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Schedules are available for print or download here.
- Vaccine doses administered 4 days before the minimum interval or age are valid (grace period). Doses administered 5 days earlier than the minimum interval or age are not valid doses and should be repeated as age-appropriate. If MMR and Varicella are not given on the same day, the doses must be separated by at least 28 days with no grace period.
- For additional information please refer to the Ohio Revised Code 3313.67 and 3313.671 for School Attendance and the ODH Director’s Journal Entry (available at the Ohio Department of Health website under Immunization: Required Vaccines for Childcare and School). These documents list required and recommended immunizations and indicate exemptions to immunizations.
- Please contact the Ohio Department of Health Immunization Program at (800) 282-0546 or (614) 466-4643 with questions or concerns.
- *Recommended DTaP or DT minimum intervals for Kindergarten students: four (4) weeks between doses 1-2 and 2-3; six (6) month minimum intervals between doses 3-4 and 4-5. If a fifth dose is administered prior to the 4th birthday. a sixth dose is recommended but not required.
- **Tdap can be given regardless of interval since the last tetanus- or diphtheria-toxoid containing vaccine. Children who are 7 years old or older with incomplete history of DTaP should be given Tdap as the first dose in the catch- up series. If the series began at 7-9 years, the 4th dose must be a Tdap given at age 11-12 years. If the 3rd dose of Tdap is five at age 10 years, no additional dose is needed at age 11-12 years.
- ***The final polio dose in the IPV series must be administered at age 4 or older with at least six months between the final and previous dose.
- ****Recommended MCV4 minimum interval of at least eight (8) weeks between dose one (1) and dose two (2). If the first (1st) dose of MCV4 was administered on or after the 16th birthday, a second (2nd) dose is not required. If a pupil is in 12th grade and is 15 years of age or younger, only 1 dose is required. Currently there are no school entry requirements for meningococcal B vaccine.