Future Planning for Students with an IEP or 504 Plan

Transitioning to College

The process for students with an IEP or 504 plan planning to apply to and attend college will closely mirror the college search application process of all other students. This page will cover information that should be considered in addition to the regular process. Information on the general college search and application process may be found here.
This PowerPoint contains specific information regarding the differences between accommodations and advocacy in high school vs. college. You will also learn about different types of support across varying colleges.

Taking the ACT/SAT

Students that have testing accommodations as part of their IEP or 504 plan in their high school courses may also qualify to have those accommodations when taking the ACT and/or SAT. Each testing agency has their own process of applying for accommodations and have their own governing board that decides whether accommodations will be awarded to the student or not. To have time to apply for, have their application reviewed, and potentially submit an appeal if not approved, students and parents should start considering this process as early as freshman year.
For more information about applying for test accommodations and the ACT and SAT, please click here for our webpage about testing.

Searching Colleges that Offer Accommodations

Colleges and Universities Resource Directory 2016: For students who are planning to attend college, and who are currently being served on an IEP or 504 plan. Website information, program availability, eligibility requirements, and any fees are listed as well.
Family Resources Directory 2016: Lists dozens of family support services in all types of areas and contact info for those services. 
Questions to Ask--When visiting colleges these may be helpful questions to consider or ask of your admissions representative or the college's/university's Office of Disability Services/Student Services. 
Helpful books (available in the GHS Counseling Office): 
The K&W Guide to College Programs & Services for Students with Learning Disabilities or Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder by Princeton Review
Peterson's Colleges for Students with Learning Disabilities or ADHD
Self-Advocacy Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities: Making It Happen in College and Beyond

How to Request Accommodations at a College/University & Making the Transition

Students must choose to disclose their disability to colleges/universities and would do so by contacting the Office of Disability Services/Student Services or an office of a similar name as each college may refer to it differently. The following may be resources in the process of finding and advocating for appropriate accommodations and assisting with a smooth transition into college.
Making the Transition from High School to College for Students with Disabilities
from the National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD)
The Landmark College Readiness Guide--An assessment given to your students by their GHS case manager in talking about readiness for college

Work/Independent Living

College is a good fit for some students directly out of high school, but others may find that a workforce program or transitioning to independent living is a more appropriate next step upon graduation. Listed below are some resources that may assist you with this process.

Joining the Workforce Straight Out of High School

View text-based website